- Former Research Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI)
- Con to the question "Should the Federal Minimum Wage Be Increased?"
“Facts clearly demonstrate that raising the minimum wage is a bad idea.
The case against raising the minimum wage is straightforward: A higher wage makes it more expensive for firms to hire workers. How big an effect does this have on the job market? Economists debate this. But no one argues that increasing the minimum wage increases the number of unemployed workers who find jobs. In the end, the trade-off is clear. People who keep their jobs get more money; those who lose their jobs, or fail to get new ones, suffer.”
Cowritten with Kevin Hassett, “The Minimum Wage Debate,” Los Angeles Times, Mar. 10, 2013
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the minimum wage. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the minimum wage.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Deputy Director of Economic Policy Studies and Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute (AEI), 2015-present
- Contributor, Washington Post, 2014-present
- Contributor, National Review Online, 2014-present
- Special Sworn Status Researcher, US Census Bureau, 2012-present
- Resident Scholar, AEI, 2013-2015
- Research Fellow, AEI, 2012-2013
- Administrator, New York Census Research Data Center, 2011-2012
- Economist, Center for Economic Studies, US Census Bureau, 2008-2012
- Assistant Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, 2005-2007
- Member, American Economic Association
- Member, Society of Labor Economists
- Member, Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management
- PhD, Economics, Cornell University
- MA, New York University
- BA, magna cum laude, Marquette University
- Twitter handle: @MichaelRStrain
- PhD thesis was titled “Essays on Labor Economics and Public Policy”
- Interned at Rockwell Automation, Target Corporation, State Street Corporation, and Output Technology Solutions
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should the Federal Minimum Wage Be Increased?